Summer dresses

I made this for our “turquoise challenge” over the weekend.

Turquoise dress front

Front of dress

Took this photo at sunset hence the yellow streak of light over the dress, it was so hard to get her to stop wriggling! I think the top is a bit too tight though. I made it based on one of her existing dresses but I may have overdone the shirring at the back. But she says she likes it.

Turquoise Dress back

Rows of (neat) shirring at the back!

I got the pattern from a tutorial on crafterhours and actually made this one for the little one first. It’s supposed to look like a GAP dress that cost USD30 which would have been about 50 bucks here! Anyway, I have seen the GAP one in real life and I think mine looks better! hehe…. The fabric I used below is a lot lighter and breezier. Very cool for a girl who tends to get hot easily!

Pink summer dress

pink summer dress

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

6 Comments

• July 24, 2011 - 1:46 pm | Permalink

Hee hee… you have a loose thread… (Sorry I’m anal about these things!) I still love the dress BTW!

• yifarn
      July 25, 2011 - 4:42 pm | Permalink

thanks, I’ll go snip it off rightaway ;)

• Dieni
    March 18, 2013 - 6:34 pm | Permalink

Hi!! Im a new patron to ur blog here :D
    May i know where did u get the lighter fabric that u used for the pink dress? (Or what is the name of the fabric if i need to ask the shopkeeper)
    Im still in a mission to search for a comfy fabric for girl clothing. TIA! ;)

• Cotton Candy
      March 18, 2013 - 9:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Dieni, I bought this fabric a few years ago from Spotlight and it’s not a designer fabric so there is no name to the fabric. For comfy fabric, you can try cotton lawn. It’s thin and very suitable for hot weather!

• Dieni
        March 19, 2013 - 9:40 am | Permalink

Oh, pardon me, actually i was not referring to the designer name of fabric. I just wanted to know what type of fabric it is *i knew nothing about designer fabric until i start browsing on some sewing tutorial blogs like yours! Lol.
        So that kind of lightweight fabric is cotton lawn? I suppose this is super comfy for toddlers? (Looks like it! ) Is this different from those they called natural cotton, or 100% cotton? previously when i bought fabrics, i just choose the pattern tt i like, and as long as the name is “cotton” :s

• Cotton Candy
          March 20, 2013 - 11:24 am | Permalink

Hi Dieni :) No problem, there are lots of variations for 100% cotton. So there are many names! The difference is mainly in the weave and weight. Basically cotton is comfortable but some cotton fabrics (like twill and duck) are heavier and therefore used for clothes that require more structure like shorts and pants. Lighter fabrics like lawn and voile are thinner and more drapey so they are nice and flow-ey for skirts and dresses. But some may be too thin and need layering. So depending on your pattern requirements, the best is still to browse through and feel the fabrics at the store. I usually stay away from 100% polyester for the kids, but sometimes a cotton+polyester blend may not be that bad since the tend to be less wrinkly. Have fun trying them out!