Holiday Sewing – Caps

What do you sew for a Summer holiday?

I chose to sew some new caps for the girls! The pattern is from last year’s Cucito Summer edition (in the picture below, the pink cap on left),

I even bought the prettiest fabric to go with it. It’s a Japanese strawberry patchwork print by Yuwa (I think). It was a pre-cut 50cm piece that cost me 997 yen at pretty steep exchange rates last year. Luckily, the caps did not need much fabric. Just about 30cm each (base on 110cm width) according to the pattern, but it seems like I can squeeze 3 caps out of the 50cm piece since there are leftovers after making these two.

So the fabric and pattern sat in my cupboard for a year, and finally I took them out because I was itching to sew, but didn’t have much time, and I wanted to make something fast and useful for our upcoming trip. It’s just a short trip to HK but it’s going to be hot, so a cap will come in handy.

It looks like there is some puckering at the back, but it’s actually a hidden elastic band. I followed the pattern to the tee for the first cap (the one above) and found the elastic too loose, so the stretchy effect is not quite there. I used a shorter piece of elastic for the second cap below and it seemed to fit better.  I also added unique identifiers for each kid. Different handmade labels, and different colored ribbons on the front.

I love this shot!

So, happy holidays if you are enjoying a long weekend like us in Singapore!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  • August 7, 2013 - 6:57 pm | Permalink

    That is absolutely adorable!! Well done :) Cindy

  • September 7, 2013 - 12:38 pm | Permalink

    I love how the girls hat’s turned out. I have this magazine so I will have to give it a go! They look great :)

  • Leave a Reply to Another Dress Cancel reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


    You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>